Change

Everything changes, I say to my son. No doubt, he is sometimes annoyed to hear that, newly into his last teen year. What I mean is more the culture, the norm, what's considered by a society to be worthy, these values change.

Strong in spirit, lively in personality, our son is a young man now in a world that often fries or frightens my wits, puzzles my often tenuous grasp of common sense, and too often rattles my own reality. Remembering to feel more reassured, as I somehow grew up in one cogent piece. So, is the worry justified, or even relevant? 

Today's culture of random violence, mindless tiktok impulse, self-absorbtion, plus massive and constant cerebral stimulation, resembling hooked and crazed mice in some mad experiment of self-destructive design, is it at all sane? Does it nurture our humanity, or help to advance our collective chances for being here or anywhere in the very near future?

Still hopeful for my child's prospects, yet also worried about the social fabric connecting this changing culture to value systems embracing our worst tendencies- worried, hopeful, both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circle

Everywhere

Angels above, below