Magical

Let's see where this goes. Thinking that is magical in nature. Thought processes involving an ongoing series of ideas, images, concepts, beliefs and feelings passing in processional order in our minds. But, these thoughts have no actual basis in reality- they're magical.

Magical in this context refers to thought process not grounded in reason, logic, and accepted facts in global evidence. As in, the Earth is round, a fact. Thinking it's flat is magical process. 

Magical thinking includes magical mathematics, magical physics- the hapless and doomed Wiley Coyote, hanging out over the cliff's edge, suspended in air for funny moments before vanishing beneath the screen. 

What does all this mean, reason or magical, facts or belief, illusion or reality? How does it affect me right now, in this one moment of my life which has continued for seventy years, and hopefully counting? What is the choice at hand?

Magical thinking may include nearly every religion, any belief system beyond the tenuous proofs of science, or any faith in perceived truths as yet unsupported by observable facts. Whether religion or science- and, maybe the two are not opposed- we're still faced with the constant choice: how do we interpret all that we experience, what methods used?

Magical thinking is as universally common and constant as breathing. We ALL do it, in varying degree, frequency, and awareness. Most of the time, I "catch" myself thinking magically, often followed by an internal chuckle. Like, I'm running late to work, all the lights are intentionally turning red. Sure, I momentarily swear, this is really happening to me because I stayed up till 1am last night playing poker on my phone!

Happens in our heads a hundred times a day, mostly unnoticed I believe, and that's where the challenge calls. When am I magically thinking without even realizing it? What little or big decisions am I making with subtle magical thought influence or error? We'll end here with that vital question.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Circle

Everywhere

Angels above, below